I think I speak by most if not all of us that had checked out the default Niagara Falls when I say that it was underwhelming, to say the least.
As much as I love Microsoft’s work with the scenery in the sim, waterfalls have been one of the major letdowns in the scenery. I love looking at waterfalls and one of the first places in the world I visited once MSFS got out (the first big test I put MSFS into was by visiting the Azores at the Global Preview Event).
I was very disappointed.
After Jeppeson2001’s release of Victoria Falls for the sim, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and I was hoping he would work on Niagara Falls. He did not fail us, and here it is. Niagara Falls City Pack for MSFS is now out.
Note that both of the USA World Updates and the Canada World Update need to be installed for the scenery to display correctly. You will also need to have photogrammetry turned on.
I will work on a review in a few days – I have a small backlog that I have to get out of the way first – so I will not get into any details right now, but you can find the list of features and points of interest below.
And, of course, the link to get it. You can find it at SimMarket.
On and there’s a small Easter Egg in the scenery, which was very cool of Jeppeson2001 to add. Can you find it? Let us know in the comments below!
- Niagara Falls - Animated with sounds, mist, and lighting effects. Includes Horseshoe Falls, American Falls & Bridal Veil Falls
- Custom 3D modelled Hotels & Casino's of the Niagara Falls City Skyline.
- Custom animated rapids, and rapid textures along the Niagara River.
- Custom 3D modelled docks on both the USA and Canadian sides. I have included crowds of tourists queuing at the docks to represent how busy the area is. These have been modelled at a very low poly count which ensures that your FPS is not impacted - Please note they are not supposed to be seen at very close range. The people have been rendered in the correct poncho colours - Blue for USA (Maid Of the Mist), Red for Hornblower (Niagara City Cruises), and Yellow for Behind The Falls Tour.
- Niagara Helicopters Heliport (CPQ3) has been included with a hand crafted Terminal and interior, along with Hangar, hangar interior, and animated doors.
- 13 Helipads to choose from at the Heliport
- Custom made Wind Socks
- Custom made anemometer (weather station)
- Custom made helipad lights and obstacle lighting systems
- Animated freight train with sounds. The train crosses the Whirpool Rapids Bridge and passes by the Heliport
Points of interest
- Animated tourist boats - Maid Of the Mist, and Hornblower.
- Animated Incline Railway, and City Cruises Funicular Railway
- Animated Zipline
- Animated Sky Screamer ride with sounds located at Marineworld, just south of the falls.
- Animated Whirpool Aerocar which crosses the Niagara Whirlpool and which first opened in 1916.
- Ontario Power Generation Station, and Niagara Power Vista Station.
- Lewiston-Queenston Bridge
- Whirpool Rapids Bridge
- Michigan Central Bridge
- Niagara River Parkway Bridge
- North Grand Island Bridge
- International Control Dam
- 1918 Dumping Scow Barge shipwreck
- Niagara SkyWheel