The R22 for Aerofly FS2, by IPACS, has been released, free of charge for all users, which is a great contribution to the helicopter flight sim community.
The existence of a good trainer helicopter on any sim is always a plus as it can introduce rotary wing to their users. More so when you have the ability select between an easy flight model – which can help you better understand what you can do with a helicopter – and the professional (or profi, like IPACS calls it) flight model for the seasoned rotorheads or those that want to take it to the next level of realism.
IPACS has been working on the R22 for quite some time and the result is nothing short of impressive.
You can learn more about this sim (and get the links to purchase it) at the official website.
The update also brings a set of features and fixes, including support for the Pro Flight Trainer PUMA.
- Added Robinson R22 Beta II helicopter with highly detailed 3D model based on a 3D scan of the real aircraft and full dynamics flight model, including a fully articulated multi-body rotor simulation in combination with a dynamic inflow aerodynamics model including ground effect, transnational lift and auto-rotation state. The flight model has been fine tuned together with R22 pilots.
- The helicopter supports startup / shutdown including a clutch and rotor brake simulation and features a life-like indicator string. Our R22 has a difficulty option in the aircraft selection menu. Per default the assistance is turned on and stabilizes the helicopter to make it easier to fly when using game controllers, VR hands or joysticks with twist grip rudder. The professional setting disables any stabilization. This requires a lot of coordination work especially on the pedals, use high quality rudder pedals to fly this one. Best experience is in VR, where it is way easier to distinguish the difference between the different motions of the helicopter.
- The helicopter comes in nine different liveries and is included in the default aircraft fleet.
- Added Heliports are available as starting points in location menu
- Added over 120 helipads
- Added San Francisco and Bay Area now cultivated with nearly 1.4 million houses, trees and street lights.
- Added Default support for Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder
- Added Default support for Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA PAS helicopter controller
- Added Aircraft selection menu remembers last selected repaint for each aircraft
- Added External pan around camera can be moved towards and away from the aircraft
- Changed Yaw string behavior improved
- Changed Yaw damper turn coordination improved in all aircraft with yaw damper
- Changed B747 and LJ45 crew alerting systems: Added numerous new messages, scrolling through messages, new messages pushed to top, new messages flashing, acknowledge messages to stop flashing, natural delays between cause and warning detection
- Added Some alerts automatically canceled after several seconds,e.g. flashing altitude alerts, flashing master caution and warnings
- Added Brakes are held for you when the simulation is started,increase thrust to start rolling
- Added A320 stall warning speeds calculated from angle of attack and gross weight
- Fixed Q400 button press and hold functions: HSI ILS format, ALT SEL disable, TCAS on/off
- Fixed C172 low fuel warning threshold
- Fixed F18 half and full flap indications