Back in June, Miltech Simulations announced that they were working on a CH-47D for Microsoft Flight Simulator. At the time it was expected (not promised) that the helicopter would be released on Q3, 2023, but obviously, things are taking a bit longer.
The company posted a project update on their Facebook page where they indicate that they are “busy doing the last few touches to the 3D & Texturing work” and also provided us with a list of upcoming features:
- As promised, the CH47D will feature a fully detailed interior, exterior and cargo bay. Here's a sample of the final texturing detail - everything has been modeled and textured to the highest level of detail and sharpness possible. This level of quality and sharpness is consistent throughout.
- Cargo Loading capabilities: The CH47D includes fully modeled cargo loading capabilities, both in the inner cargo bay, as well as sling loaded in the exterior. Users will be able to load Humvees, Rhibs, Pallets, Troops, UAV Containers, and even a Blackhawk helicopter. Fully animated paratroopers are another thing we are currently considering to implement.
- Systems: Our CH47D is a comprehensive, yet practical rendition of the real counterpart. All essential systems have been modeled to a great degree of depth, though others (such as ADF, UHF, etc.) are "for display only" due to MSFS not supporting these systems.
- As for NAV systems, an Aera-style portable GPS is included (can be hidden) for flight planning and "direct to" navigation. In fact, some operators of the CH47D use these kinds of GPS systems.
- A custom Advanced Flight Control System (AFCS) is also featured. Currently it works as a 2 degree-of-freedom autopilot (altitude and heading), but it may evolve into a more complex system prior to release.
- Sounds: This is a common question - YES, our CH47D will feature the iconic "blade slap". In fact, all sounds have been recorded from a real CH47.
- EFB: A tablet EFB is also included, and can be used to load the cargo onto the helicopter, map, and access the missions...
- Missions: The Chinook will include a mission pack upon release, with anywhere between 8-12 predefined missions around the world. These missions will consist of carrying different loads from point A to B. All missions will start and end on custom-made sceneries (included with the helicopter). These may include earthquake relief areas, military compounds, UAV bases, moving ships, etc.
- Liveries: 15 liveries will be included from operators around the world.
- Other variants?: We are focusing on the -D Variant for now. Though we are considering adding more modern -F Variant, the passenger variant, MH variant, etc. on a future expansion pack.
- PC/Xbox?: As usual, we'll release for PC first - since we can iterate more easily over the first few weeks of the product being out and don't have to pass the time-consuming Marketplace verification. Xbox will follow shortly after.
There’s no estimated date of release right now but Miltech Simulations promised to share some more details and images within the next few weeks.