In case you haven’t been paying attention, the first payware helicopter for Microsoft Flight Simulator has been under development for some time. FlyInside has been hard at work to bring the classic Bell 47 to the sim!
With a list of impressive features (which you can find below), FlyInside has brought something absolutely amazing to life in the sim, showing that Microsoft and Asobo have, indeed, left the way open to expand the flight dynamics beyond what we thought to be possible.
- Revolutionary and realistic flight model, developed and tested by an experienced Bell 47 pilot
- Support for full helicopter flight physics including effective translational lift, ground effect, transverse flow, flap-back, auto-rotation, and more
- Support for failures and dangerous flight regimes including vortex ring state, engine failure, and retreating blade stall
- Detailed 3D model with high quality PBR textures and animated drive and control systems
- Realistic startup and shutdown procedures
- Highly customizable realism settings allow for a smooth, easier flight model for those who are less experienced, and a hardcore, realistic flight model for the veterans experienced with the complex and challenging flight dynamics of helicopters
If you read my preview of the FlyInside Bell 47, you will see exactly what I mean. FlyInside turned me from a skeptical to a believer. Not only in the Bell 47 but also in the fact that we may be able to get other good helicopters in the sim, even before Microsoft and Asobo get to it. Which is, of course, amazing news.
Now, to be 100% fair with Microsoft and Asobo, they want to do more than just the flight dynamics for helicopters. There are features that the companies want to add to the sim for us to be able to enjoy our helicopters even more like mission-specific features, ATC, helipads and heliports added just like airports are right now and so on.
So, get your MSFS ready, folks! It’s time to take this whirlybird to the skies!
Oh, and do make sure you read my preview AND the manual! Especially the part about where you may need to tweak the Bell 47 to your liking. Because this is not going to be an easy helicopter if you go fully realistic! But you can make it tamer.
Let us know what you think of the FlyInside Bell 47! See you in the virtual skies of Microsoft Flight Simulator (finally!).